These days, shunning expertise is in vogue, whether talking politics or personal health. We applaud independence, but the University of Google isn’t a real thing, and neither is do-it-yourself roofing. When you hire a roofing contractor to take care of your Central Ohio home, you reap many benefits.
Why Hire a Roofing Contractor?
You may be tempted to do your own roofing work. Suppose you notice a roof leak. Simple, right? Get up there, find the leak, and patch it! One, maybe three…eleven visits to the big-box home improvement store, a few shingles, some roof cement, a small fortune in tools like a roofing hatchet, trowel, latex gloves, knee pads, and you’re done!
Or, you are in the ER suffering from a fall from your roof. And nobody uses roofing hatchets anymore. Are you planning to invest hundreds of dollars in a pancake compressor and nail gun? Do you know the difference between water and ice shield and underlayment? How will you find the leak on your roof’s exterior? Where is your fall arrest equipment? Where is the training you need to keep your roof warranty intact?
Perhaps now you begin to see the reasons why do-it-yourself is not a great idea:
Your next choice is the first roofer who knocks on your door or a shady guy with a 1993 F-150 pickup truck. We strongly urge you to pass on the passerby and wish Chuck With a Truck good luck. Neither option will bring you the benefits of a genuine, licensed roofing contractor.
When you hire a roofing contractor, you get experience, equipment, knowledgeable crews, and a lot more, too.
The best seven reasons we can think of for hiring a genuine roofing contractor to repair, maintain, or re-roof your Central Ohio home range from practical to emotional, but they all matter:
- Safety — Getting up on your own roof can be dangerous, but professional roofers know how to safely do the work, using correct fall arrest gear and techniques to protect each other from slips and falls.
- Warranties — Your trusted, local contractor, in business for many years, will have the experience and training from the roofing materials manufacturer to provide you the best available warranties on repairs and re-roofing work.
- Reliability & Expertise — Reputable, local roofing contractors won’t run off like storm chasers (“Dan With His Van”); your contractor will be available long after the project, in case a callback is needed or further work must be done.
- Time — A roofer can do the work faster and better than you or a handyman. Even if you think you can do the work yourself, having a contractor do the roofing work gives you back time and ensures a proper result (roofers answer many calls for fixing the homeowner’s repair job).
- Cost-Effectiveness — Trusting a local roofer saves money in the long run because you do not have access to the discounts professionals reap on materials. You will not be paying twice for the same work. The professional work will last far longer than the handyman’s job or your own work.
- Tools — Forget about four visits to the hardware store; forget about major investments in exotic equipment; your local, reliable roofer comes equipped with all the right tools and supplies to perform all types of roofing work expertly.
- Peace of mind — Yes, we saved the best for last! Knowing the quality of the repair or re-roof is professional, your roof will protect your home and possessions for many years to come. Following up with regular inspections by the same roofer ensures your roof is in the best condition possible and stays that way.
How To Hire
Moving into a new home, nobody handed you the Home Instruction Manual. Such a thing, like YouTube University, does not exist. You may have no idea how to go about hiring a dependable, local roofing contractor. Is your work too small for a contractor to bother with? Is your house in the contractor’s service area? What do you say when you call?
Relax. Most homeowners replace their roofs only once while they live in their houses. You are not expected to be an expert in locating and hiring a roofer! Here’s what to do:
- Ask others for suggestions on roofers.
- Contact three roofers; describe your roofing needs (“I think I have a roof leak,” “I know I need a new roof.”).
- Arrange an appointment with a representative of each roofer, requesting a written estimate.
- Compare the estimates and look for “Scope of Work” with detailed descriptions of materials, work, and payments.
- Settle on a local, licensed, trustworthy roofing contractor.
It really can be that easy! Please contact us today at Allstate Exteriors & Restoration in Central Ohio. We are ready to provide you with superior roofing service for all your roofing needs.